Picturesquely situated on a hill outside town walls - a few dozen miles from the Cracow Gate, this church is the oldest monument of Szydłów. The exact date of its construction is unknown, however, the church is standing on the spot which, as researchers presume, was the original place of the location of Szydłów. However, it is not scientifically proved beyond all doubt as there was no archaeological research conducted there.
It is known for sure that the church was erected no later than in 1370 - since this is the period for which beautiful figural wall-paintings inside it are dated. The building is Gothic, yet some of its elements prove that it has an older, Romanesque origin. It has a rectangular nave, shorter and narrower presbytery, where a vestry was added later on. A vestibule, at the western nave was also added at a later date. The roof is made of shingles, windows are ogival in dressed stone Gothic frames. There are three portals: south of the nave - an ashlar, ogival, profiled one; from the west - stone, ogival one with a profiled arcade; from the presbytery to the vestry - ashlar, ogival with later added stucco moulding.
The aforementioned wall paintings were discovered in 1946 after the plaster covering them fell off. In the first decade of the 21st century their systematic renovation was commenced.
All Saints Church. Photo by P. Walczak