The entrance to the castle led through the gate that was situated in the eastern part of the retaining wall - from the side of the town. In the 18th century, in the place of the gate, a gate building was erected.
Above the entrance, from the eastern side, a board commemorating the erection with the date 1723 was placed and a beautiful stone cartouche featuring the Polish eagle, three Swedish crowns and the inscription S III RPMDL, which is an abbreviation standing for Sigismundus III tertius Rex Poloniae Magnus Dux Lithuaniae (Sigmundus III the King of Poland, Grand Prince of Lithuania). At the beginning of the 19th century the building was adapted to be the seat of town institutions.
The Castle Gate. Photo by P. Walczak
The castle gate is a storied construction, built of stone. There are barrel vaults with lunettes in the chambers on the ground floor. In 2006 the building was renovated and adapted for tourism purposes. On the first floor there are beds, whereas in the basement – a tourist information point.