Next to the parish church in Szydłów, outside the town walls, there are the ruins of the former Holy Spirit Church and the hospital for the poor and the old.
The single-nave church with a vestry, in the late Gothic style, was built at the beginning of the 16th century of stone. At the front of the church two hospital wings were added. The first reports of this complex date back to 1529. The hospital functioned until the 18th century. It was mentioned that there were patients in the number of a few to several persons.
The review from 1789 already mentions a church without a roof, which was destroyed with a "lightning fire". Even after the World War II the building still served as an asylum for the homeless.
The ruins of the Holy Spirit Church & Hospital. Photo by P. Walczak