The town of Szydłów was surrounded by defensive walls in the mid 14th century by Casimir the Great. From the north-west side the walls were erected at the edge of a tall ravine wall sloping down to the valley of the river Ciekąca. From the southern and eastern sides they were built on a flat area and fortified with an earth embankment and a moat.
The walls were 1080 m long and up to 1.8 m thick. In this way a defensive fortress was constructed with the area of 6.5 ha which was one of several greatest ones protecting the borders of the Little Poland region.
There were so-called hoardings erected on the defensive walls; these were roofed wooden galleries which rested on timbers let into the wall and had openings in the floor for firing from the top, throwing of stones and stake-studded logs. They were set up only in the event of war threat.
In 1822, defensive walls with the “ruin of the castle” were auctioned. Fortunately, nobody was interested in the purchase which saved them.
There are 4 sections of the walls left from the western, eastern and southern sides of total length of 680 m. In 2010 the defensive walkway on the wall next to the castle square was renovated together with the porch, at the same time, revitalization of the walls from the side of Kielecka Street was performed – including the reconstruction of battlements and a vantage point in the south-west corner.
Town walls. Photo by P. Walczak